Oh, and I’m changing the price too. To nothing.
The ABC of Copywriting contains all the best ‘how to’ posts from this blog, along with several sections written specially for the book. It’s 98 pages long and contains 27,379 carefully chosen words. If it was in a bookshop, you’d probably be paying about £10 for it. (The actual price, in case you missed it, is £0.)
I’ve now spent nearly 20 years working with words, the last eight as a professional freelance copywriter. I’ve always used this blog as a place to record what I’ve learned, or talk through the issues I’ve faced. So what you’re basically getting here is the brain of a seasoned commercial writer, squidged into a PDF and beamed into your own word-thirsty mind via the internet.
Here are a few of the things I cover in the book:
- The five proven techniques for persuasive copywriting
- The magic ingredient of every effective headline
- Striking an honest, conversational tone to build rapport
- How to use the power of NLP to hammer home your message
- When to scare the reader with ‘negative benefits’
- How to define tone of voice
- Why you don’t need a USP to write hard-selling copy
- How to write compelling calls to action
- How to use ‘weasel words’ to bend the truth
- Why customers are so bad at making decisions – and how that helps you.
Basically, everything you need to write powerful, punchy copy that gets results.
But you don’t have to take my word for it. Here’s what leading copywriter and trainer Andy Maslen says:
This is a succinct yet powerful guide to some of the advanced techniques you’ll need to make it as a copywriter.
Tom focuses in particular on the psychological aspects of copywriting: a wise move in my opinion, since emotions make sales happen.
He’s also taken real-world examples and analysed the techniques behind their creation, a valuable insight into the copywriter’s craft.
In case you don’t know Andy, he’s a hugely respected figure in the UK direct marketing industry, and the author of bestselling copywriting books like Write to Sell, 100 Great Copywriting Ideas and The Copywriting Sourcebook. Basically, he knows copywriting.
Did I mention it’s free? Well, it is. Just download it below and, if you like it, I’d appreciate a mention and a link in your social networks.
I really hope you enjoy the book, and welcome all comments below.